Wednesday, April 27, 2011

for forgiveness

if forgiveness were a journey
I would take it to its end
and embark upon the odyssey
'round twist and turn and bend
at the final destination
past and present to amend
then I'd take that journey
for forgiveness


if forgiveness were a mountain
I would find the strength to climb
and ascend up to the summit
of most glorious heights sublime
panoramic views of pardon, and
true absolution mine
then I'd climb that mountain
for forgiveness


if forgiveness were a river
I would wade the waters deep
soul submerged beneath the surface
as the cleansing currents sweep
all resentment ebbs away
while the flowing mercies keep
then I'd cross that river
for forgiveness

8 comments:

Elaine said...

Glad I don't have to do any of the above for forgiveness!

Brother Ollie said...

You got that right! Nice.

Laura said...

so beautiful Elaine...the last verse in particular, wrapped around my heart. Thank you for this gift today dear one.

Kati patrianoceu said...

Really? I hope I'd do the same!! And yes... it's awesome how we don't have to do anything for forgiveness.

happygirl said...

Cleansing currents. Forgiveness feels like that, doesn't it. I'm glad I don't have to do all that either, but it would be worth it. Still I beg for it.

Brandee Shafer said...

So much easier to receive than give. Sometimes giving forgiveness feels at least as hard!

Mommy Emily said...

panoramic views of pardon, and
true absolution mine


beautiful, dear elaine...

Anonymous said...

Love your poem. I hope I'd go to those lengths for forgiveness (and thankful I don't have to!) But your poem strikes me-- am I willing to go to these lengths to forgive someone who has really hurt me? It's hard but I'm seeing the freedom in forgiving even the most difficult.

Post a Comment