Sunday, May 13, 2012

When I Became A Mother





When I became a mother
Something was birthed in me
The power to love another one
So unconditionally

When I became a mother
My heart just grew and grew
It multiplied and magnified
And flowed with love for you.

When I became a mother
Part of my heart left me
And went to live within the child
Who once lived within me

When I became a mother
I never thought I'd see
Growing before my very eyes
Ones, I wish I could be

And now that I'm a mother
It melts me through and through
To hear my sons, say these few words
"I want to be like you"

And now that I'm a mother
My prayer will always be
Son be a better, greater, wiser,
Reflection of me.


Dear Elliot and Ethan...thank you.





5 comments:

Judy said...

So Beautiful Elaine!..Happy Mothers Day to you!

Judy

Jannpoet said...

A very beautiful and well crafted poem. I think it's wonderful

Sheila said...

I dropped by from Emily's place (I chose your link because you and my daughter--who made me a mother--share the same first name).

This, exactly:
"went to live within the child
Who once lived within me"

So true, so beautiful. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi Elaine
Now you have stolen my heart with your poem that captures the essence of motherhood perfectly! Glad to meet you and thanks for the honor of sharing your thoughts on motherhood at Emily's!
Much love
Mia

Kelli Woodford said...

oh wow.
your words are at the same time both powerful and simple. just like poetry should be.

(and it even rhymes!!;) )

a beautiful tribute.

Post a Comment